Demolition of the GM Inland factory on Home Avenue in Dayton Ohio taken on April 22, 2014

Buy Add to Lightbox Download
This industrial site has been an important part of Dayton’s manufacturing economy for many years. It all started in 1910 when Orville and Wilbur Wright built an aircraft factory at 2701 Home Road (now Home Ave). The two original Wright Company buildings are still there, surrounded by the ruins of a 54-acre GM Inland plant.<br />
<br />
The factory was taken over by the Wright-Martin Aircraft Company in 1915 after Orville sold his stake to investors. During WWI it was leased to the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company, a creation of E. Deeds and C. Kettering. “Plant #3” supplied airplane steering wheels and other small parts to aircraft assembly plants located in Moraine. General Motors bought Dayton-Wright in 1919 and switched it over to automotive production. Inland Mfg. Co. was set up after the aircraft business was sold off.<br />
<br />
Inland’s most important product in 1923 was wooden steering wheels. Their design used wrapped wood veneer, which was stronger and less costly to produce than solid wood rims. It reduced injuries since it absorbed impact better and did not splinter. By 1926 Inland was producing rubber steering wheels as wood became obsolete.<br />
<br />
Inland made tank tracks, etc. during WWII, but is best remembered as the largest supplier of M1 .30 caliber carbines. They thrived afterwards because of their capacity to mold rubber and expertise in automotive safety. Products included engine mounts, steering wheels, brake hose, and transmissions.<br />
<br />
By the 1980s the plant was struggling since it had no room to expand and its space was broken up among too many small buildings. Production was moved to Vandalia and Inland was merged in to Delphi Automotive Systems. Delphi filed for bankruptcy in 2005. Several executives resigned amid SEC charges of irregular accounting. The Home Avenue facility has been idle and vacant since 2008.<br />
<br />
Demolition began in 2014. The two original Wright Company buildings will be preserved and added to the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
This industrial site has been an important part of Dayton’s manufacturing economy for many years. It all started in 1910 when Orville and Wilbur Wright built an aircraft factory at 2701 Home Road (now Home Ave). The two original Wright Company buildings are still there, surrounded by the ruins of a 54-acre GM Inland plant.

The factory was taken over by the Wright-Martin Aircraft Company in 1915 after Orville sold his stake to investors. During WWI it was leased to the...
more »

Filename: CCKey GM Inland Manufacturing 2014-0422 Demolition of Home Ave plant 2363.JPG
Copyright